Are you looking to start a career in knitting design? Would you like to take a peek behind the curtain in the working life of an editor of a knitting magazine? Then join Karen Poirier-Brode on this week’s episode of “A Creative Approach Podcast” as she explores the working world of dynamic and versatile Kara Gott Warner.
Kara, a native New Yorker, who grew up in the suburbs of New Jersey, is the editor of Creative Knitting magazine and the host of Power Purls Podcast. She started designing knitting patterns in 2002. After training as a technical illustrator, she worked for numerous craft book publishers, such as Random House, Lark Books, Sterling Publishing and F&W.
In 2008, she joined Annie’s Publishing as a knitting book editor and then in 2010, she began with Creative Knitting Magazine and Annie’s Knitting Publications. Her designs have been published widely in many magazines, including Creative Knitting, Vogue Knitting, Family Circle, Easy Knitting and Interweave. Listen to Kara talking passionately about her creative approach to her work.
Join Karen and Kara as they discuss:
- How Kara started her career in the fashion world.
- How Kara made her own way, mostly making accessories, till she rediscovered knitting.
- How a sweet little yarn shop awakened her passion for knitting in the early ’90’s.
- How a mentor gave her the idea to make a career of knitting and designing.
- A ball of yarn can hold exciting possibilities!
- Her background in technical drawing and schematics came full circle and linked into her knitting career.
- The fantastic power of networking!
- How Kara became editor of Creative Knitting Magazine.
- How cultivating relationships is crucial to getting ahead!
- What the does editor of a knitting magazine do?
- The many months of preparation that go into producing her magazine.
Power Purls website: www.powerpurlspodcast.com
Kara’s website: Kara Gott Warner
Kara on Twitter: karaknits
Kara on instagram: karaknits
Check out our latest episodes: