31: Using Creative and Sustainable Technology to Solve 21st Century Problems with Mark Dorfman
The natural world is filled with so much creative inspiration. Artists and designers often look to nature when deciding the shape and form of their creative works, but have you stopped to consider how we might mimic how the natural world functions? Biomimicry is the study of how nature is already solving some of the toughest problems facing mankind. These scientists, designers, and engineers are using creativity in a truly fascinating and innovative way. I know you are going to enjoy learning about this vast topic with my guest, Mark Dorfman.
Mark Dorfman is a Chemist working for Biomimicry 3.8, a consulting firm focused on making the planet more sustainable through innovative design and creative problem-solving. Mark understand that there is so much humans have to learn from the natural processes going on around us. We can then mimic the processes and methods nature employs to innovate and imagine a cleaner, more efficient, and definitely more beautiful world.
Today, we are talking about why innovation can be daunting, but why it is such an opportunity for humanity to grow. We will be pushing the limits, solving the world’s problems, and seeing why failure can actually be fun! All of this and much more will be waiting for you in today’s episode. I know you are really going to enjoy Mark’s unique perspective on creativity!
More in this episode:
- How Biomimicry 3.8 is trying to shape the world through creative innovations.
- Using chemistry to solve pollution problems.
- Understanding color by studying some of the most beautiful organisms on the earth!
- We can look to the ecosystems to turn waste into byproducts that can be repurposed.
- Mark dreams of factories that improve the environment, rather than degrade them.
- Hear how the wings of a butterfly might change the way we make glitter!
- How Biomimicry 3.8 tackles the tough problems.
- Mark shares some of his favorite forms to study in nature.
- Why Mark first became interested in Biomimicry.
- We have the power to change the markets if we demand life-friendly substances.
- Hear all of Mark’s thoughts on creative problem-solving.
- It is so fun to create!