04: Using Creativity to Solve Global Social Problems with Dr. Padmini Murthy
Are you willing to be of service to others? Would you love to make a difference to the lives of less fortunate individuals, but aren’t sure how? Let Dr. Padmini Murthy activate your conscience and inspire you, as she talks to Karen Poirier-Brode about her experiences while working with the poorest of the poor, on this week’s episode of “A Creative Approach Podcast”.
Dr. Murthy (Mini) is a professor and the Global Health Director of New York Medical College. She has been practicing medicine and public health for the past 28 years in various countries, dealing with issues such as little, or no access to clean water or sanitary pads. She’s an author, lecturer, and teacher, who serves as the Medical Woman’s International Association’s NGO representative to the United Nations. She has received numerous awards, including the prestigious Blackwell Medal, from the American Medical Women’s Association. Listen to her talk passionately about her creative approach to world health, women’s health and how we can all “do a little that can amount to a lot.” .
Join Karen as she talks to Mini about:
- What motivated her to study medicine.
- How she discovered that it is possible to make a difference by making an effort and working as a team.
- How she introduced screening programs in Saudi Arabia.
- How she digressed from her medical path to go into advocacy and social justice.
- Mini’s current projects in Malawi.
- How her projects promote safe motherhood from a grassroots level.
- The difficulties that many rural women face.
- Her practical advice to anyone looking to be of service.
- Little things we can do to have more money to donate to where it is really needed.
- How social media can be used to exchange ideas for service where it really matters.
Karen’s website: www.acreativeapproachpodcast.com
Mini’s email: email@example.com
Mini on Linkedin: Padmini Murthy
Mini’s twitter handle: @minimurthy1234
Mini’s Books: Women’s Global Health and Human Rights
Mini’s Musings (Poetry, published in 2012)
Check out our latest episodes: